With a market share of 62 percent, Tata Nexon Electric Car was the best-selling car in the country in the previous year. Let’s check out the list of the top 5 electric cars sold in India in 2021.
In the Indian market, electric cars are gradually becoming very popular in the last couple of years. Although the industry is still in the initial stage and has limited options in the huge market car segment, it is growing a tremendous amount of growth. In 2021, Tata Motors is the top ranked and enjoying an 80 percent market share in the EV segment in India. Now, in this article, I will be sharing the top 5 electric cars sold in India.
Top 5 Electric Cars sold in India in 2021
1. Tata Nexon EV
No doubt Tata Nexon was the best-selling electric car in India in 2021. The company managed to sell a total of 9,111 units last year. The company is claimed to offer a driving range of 300km on a single charge. Though the car actually has some great features.
The main features of this car out of tons are
- 30.2 kW high energy density lithium-ion battery with 8 years warranty.
- The powerful electric motor has 129 PS and 245 Nm of peak torque.
- Effortless travel with automatic transmission.
- 2 driving modes: Sport and Drive.
- Focuses on safety and security.
- 35 Smart connected features with Tata Motors Zconnect Mobile App.
- Fully automatic climate control.
- Projector headlamps with DRL, front Fog lamps.
- Infotainment touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple Car Play support.
- Fast charging (SOC 0% to 80%) in 60 minutes.
The Nexon electric car price starts from Rs. 14.50 lakh*. Tata Motors always try to keep their customer happy as it is one of the trusted company in India.
2. MG ZS EV
MG stands for Morris Garages with its first manufacturing facility in September 2017 in Gujarat and now it is fully operational. MG sold its MG ZS electric vehicle with 2,798 units in India and positioned second place in the list for the year 2021.
It offers a driving range of 461km on a single charge with a battery capacity of 50.3 kWh Hi-Tech battery.
Some important features of this model are
- The electric motor comes with 176.75 PS and 280 Nm max torque.
- Electronic Gear Shift Knob.
- 3 Driving modes: Eco, Sport, and Normal.
- Auto headlights.
- Cruise control.
- Kinetic Energy Recovery System(KERS)- 3 levels.
- Electronic Stability Control.
- Electric Parking Brake with auto-hold.
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS).
- ABS + EBD + Brake Assist.
- Full Digital Cluster with 7-inch LCD screen.
- You can use DC super-fast chargers at MG dealerships, which seamlessly charge up to 80% in 60 minutes.
The design of this car is futuristic to give the all-new ZS EV a progressive look. The price starts from about 21.5 lakh*.
3. Tata Tigor EV
Tata Motors managed to sell 2,611 units of Tata Tigor EV in 2021 in India. The new Tigor EV powered by Ziptron technology was launched in August last year for private buyers.
It offers a driving range of 306km on a single charge. This model of Tata Motors is built for the common class in India with prices starting from Rs. 12 lakh* onwards. Some features are
- The battery capacity of 26 kWh lithium-ion battery.
- It’s electric motor builds 75 PS and 170 Nm peak torque.
- 2 drive modes: Sports and Drive.
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor.
- Smart regenerative braking.
- Steering: Electrically power-assisted.
- Single-speed transmission for an automatic-like drive.
- Battery and Motor warranty: 8 years or 1,60,000km whichever is earlier.
- Vehicle warranty: 3 years or 1,25,000km whichever is earlier.
- Fast charging (SOC 0% to 80%) in 65 minutes.
- ARAI certified full charge range 306km.
This electric car holds the third position in the list and tries to improve for more sales.
4. Hyundai Kona EV
The first long-range Hyundai Kona Electric was stepped into the mass-market EV in India. This South Korean carmaker company however managed to sell only 121 units of Kona EV in India in 2021. Although this is not a great start like this popular company it is hoping that it will perform better in coming years.
This electric SUV claimed a driving range of 452km on a single charge. The motor of this car is enough powerful that it managed to perform great. Some best features are
- High driving range with 452 km per full charge (as per ARAI).
- Motor 136 PS and 395 Nm max torque.
- Driving modes: Comfort, ECO, and Sport.
- Low running cost (approx 1/5th of IC engine).
- Impressive acceleration: 0-100 km/h in just 9.7 sec*.
- Shift-by-Wire automatic transmission.
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Digital Instrument Cluster with Supervision.
- Front ventilated & Heated seats.
- Electric Parking Brake.
- Paddle Shift (for regenerative braking)
- Up to 3 years standard warranty.
- Up to 8 years battery warranty.
The Hyundai Kona Electric car is priced from Rs. 23.8 lakh*.
5. Mahindra Verito EV
Finally, the last car on this list is the Mahindra Verito EV. The company sold 49 units of this model in India last year. This car is not for private buyers. But the company works on it very hard to launch another model for common people in India.
It has not a great driving range of 110km on a single charge. The price of this car is Rs 10.16 lakh* onwards. But the Verito electric car has some great features like
- The motor is 41 PS of power with 91 Nm max torque.
- 21.2 kWh battery capacity.
- Low-cost maintenance as it has fewer moving components.
- Low running cost.
- REVive feature: by giving you a few more kilometers in case out of charge.
- Easy to charge: Any 15 A socket and you are good to go.
- Fast charging support.
- Regenerative braking.
- Direct Drive Transmission.
- Spacious Interiors.
- Government Incentives.
Finally, we have seen the top 5 best-selling electric cars sold in India last year. Though the result is not mind-blowing except for one or two companies in respect of selling electric cars, it is the beginning of a great change in this country. We can expect this electric vehicle market will start to perform in the coming couple of years.
On this positive gratitude, I would like to tell you that the EV infrastructure in India is still not at its peak and recommended that you should research more before buying electric cars. You can visit the official sites of the above-discussed company below.
Tata Nexon EV: https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/
Tata tigor EV: https://tigorev.tatamotors.com/
Hyundai Kona EV: https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a-car/kona-electric/highlights
Mahindra Verito EV: https://www.mahindraelectric.com/vehicles/everito/
Disclaimer: All the images are taken from official sites.